Thursday, June 02, 2005

Accio Hexatomus!

As the official release date draws closer, it’s as though someone has cast a spell on Harry Potter fans. The frenzy reaches dizzying heights – all to secure a copy of J.K. Rowling’s 6th offering in the series, Harry Potter & the Half-blood Prince. Speculations about the identity of the ‘half-blood prince’ were initially linked to Harry or Voldermort, then, the guesswork meandered to Hagrid, Salazar Slytherin or even an alternate self of Voldermort! Come July 16, 2005, it will be finally revealed. We asked a few muggles in Chennai what their expectations of the book are, and here’s what they had to say!
 
Pushan (12) - 7th Standard, Bhavan’s Rajaji Vidyashram
Although I’ve read all the previous books, I don’t know what will happen in this one. I have heard all kinds of stories from my cousins who discuss the book a lot. Don’t know which of these is true. I'll find out when I finally read the book!

Niranjana (15) -11th Standard, S.B.O.A. School
In the new book, I really want to know what Lord Voldemort will be up to. He is, I think, the Half-Blood Prince. (Why do I think that? Because as Tom Marvolo Riddle, he is half-blood with a muggle father and a witch mother) To make matters worse, Harry is now very emotional with the loss of his godfather. I wonder what will happen now!
 
Suzanna -Just completed college
Of course I’m looking forward to Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince! I’ve read the previous five. Book 5 was a bit sad with the death. I just hope nobody dies in this one!

M. Hariharan -Management Consultant
As has been the case with the previous books, I hope the new one has even more depth. I suppose it would deal with Harry’s angst of growing up. There would be some elements of a deepening relationship with his girl. I’m also curious to see what aspects of his role model(Professor Dumbledore), Harry would copy in this book.

On a totally different note, I hope at least in this book, Ron Weasley’s character is better fleshed out than Hermione’s. He is a powerful part of the story.


What does Accio Hexatomus mean? “Summon the Sixth Book!”

No comments: